I am a poet. A writer. An artist. I am a photographer and I love what I do. Want to learn more? Here are 16 things about Rebecca Oehrig
(You concrete-sequential types are wondering why I didn’t stop at 15 or keep going to 20, aren’t you? Sorry. Drop me a line and I’ll email you 4 more if that would help alleviate any stress. Or just stop reading at 15. I won’t be offended.)
1. I am an “American-African” – American by nationality, African by birth (and yes, I might have checked the “other” box on an application once and written that in.)
2. I love being outside. I love the seasons (though winter and I don’t always get along very well). I love hiking, camping, climbing, picnics, walks, sitting on the porch, just being outside.
3. I find the world fascinating. I will be a perpetual student because there are so many interesting things to learn about.
4. I need adventure. I think that life is supposed to be lived adventurously, so I seek it, create it, discover it, live it. This works well with #3 because it doesn’t take too much to intrigue me.
5. I have a terrible case of wanderlust. I prefer to travel internationally but if that doesn’t fit the budget (Note: it rarely does. Want to book a wedding? That might help) then I am happy with a road trip. There is something cathartic and freeing about just packing up the car and driving away.
6. I will almost always take a dare. Gets me in trouble sometimes.
7. I sometimes think WAY too much. Seriously. I need to get out of my head and go smell the dandelions sometimes!
8. I love stories. Stories in books, stories people tell, stories on the TV. But mostly I love the stories people live.
9. I am an eco-geek. Even though being “green” is the trendy thing right now, I figure it’s a good trend.
10. I cry about everything. It’s like my eyes are my “automatic emotional overflow.” And it’s not because I am sad. Happy? I cry. Angry? I cry. Frustrated? Tears. Inspired? More tears. It’s a bit ridiculous.
11. I think whoever created Peanut Butter M&Ms was a genius. They sometimes make me cry. Just kidding.
12. I love classic literature. And foreign literature. And superficial magazines. Ok, so I guess I just like to read.
13. I care a lot about what is often called “Social Justice.” The poor, the oppressed, the sick, the outcast, the exploited, the slave, the trafficked, the forgotten…someday my career will be dedicated to serving these causes; in the meantime my life is.
14. I don’t like religion. But I do love a man named Jesus. Following him has been one great adventure (see #4).
15. Community is like lifeblood. It takes a village to raise a child. It takes a small army to make it through adulthood. Relationships are what it's all about.
16. Photography is something that found me. Some of the best things in life are like that.